top of page




The Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit all require documentation to prove a child’s age and residency. Accordingly, we have put this age and residency checklist in its own section.


  • We do not need proof of age if E.P. Tremblay has prepared your tax return before.

  • If you are claiming a child born in the current tax year, provide a birth certificate and social security card.


Is your child or other qualifying relative a U.S. citizen, a U.S. national or a U.S. resident alien?


[ ] Yes [ ] No

Did your child or other qualifying relative live with you for more than half of the tax year for which you claim the credit? (A child who was born [or died] during the tax year is considered to have lived with you for the entire year.)

[ ] Yes [ ] No


Provide proof that your child lives with you by providing documents that include any one of these:

  • School records or statement

  • Landlord or property management statement

  • Health care provider statement

  • Medical records

  • Child care provider records

  • Placement agency statement

  • Social service records or statement

  • Place of worship statement

  • Indian tribal official statement

  • Employer statement

Special note for those filing for the CTC or ACTC:


If you are entitled to take a dependency exemption because of a divorce, separation or other legal agreement and your dependent did not live with you for more than 6 months, you must obtain a signed Form 8332 from the parent who the child lived with for more than 6 months in order to claim the CTC/ACTC or dependency exemption. We can prepare a Form 8332 if you want us to. Please contact the office.

bottom of page